Matty’s Modern Life responds to an article by conservative Chris Kenny who argued not to privatise the ABC.
Matty makes the following key points:
- Kenny overestimates the popularity of the ABC among conservatives
- The fact that the ABC may not be commercially viable is actually an argument to get rid of the ABC altogether
- The ABC does not bind the country together – in fact it is divisive
- A policy to sell the ABC would energise the conservative base, and it is a fight that conservatives should welcome
- The ABC by its very nature will always favour the left because it is a public institution